26
Petar awoke by the small eddy on the river where the rock had appeared. It was night and he shivered with cold and worry. Davi was not with him. More complications! His head spun.
And he remembered how he had left this place before - he could NOT walk into Bear Camp as if nothing was amiss this time. Get me out of this one, rock, he thought. Of course the thing immediately obliged. As he rose and turned there was Dammi taking a moonlight stroll coming towards him.
“Welcome, Petar. I have been expecting you.”
“Just as well, Dammi, I am more than confused, my head aches trying to put it all in order!”
“Then don’t try!” Dammi laughed. “The rock itself has been ‘telling’ me you were near; it has moved of its own accord several times in the last few days and nearly flung itself at my feet tonight. I had to come and look for you. Yes, I have it with me. Something else I knew without being told, it is meant to be with you.”
“I don’t know about with ME, there should be another with me tonight but he failed to travel here. He holds the knowledge.” He smiled suddenly. “But you are right, Dammi, I hold the rock!”
And he produced the rock that had absorbed others twice already without growth in size.
“Here, Dammi, place it with this and see the wondrous spectacle occur!”
The two rocks resonated and transformed in the golden sheen into one.
“Petar, I can feel the power of the thing from HERE!” Petar could only nod in agreement at the power radiating from it - still unchanged in size. He waited for it to quieten before pocketing it once again.
He grinned suddenly. “Thank you for coming to find me, Dammi. I did not think Camelia would take very kindly to my presence once more!”
Dammi grinned back. “Maybe not, Petar, maybe not. She is well with child and has several suitors pursuing her. She cannot make a bad choice. If the child is a boy, he will be named for you!”
…………
Davi woke in a strange place. The ground shook, the WORLD shook; noises like the cries of demons came from a distance. Was he underground? A group of men looked on in amazement. They looked, well, not quite human.
“Have you come from our friends, stranger?”
“I don’t know. Honestly.” The translator was obviously working. Understanding dawned quickly. “Your friends? With a machine?”
“Yes. We will be truthful, stranger. Our friends intended to bring those of your world here whilst we took their places on yours. Whether they manage to succeed or not is irrelevant now. Our time is up. You must go, as you came, and tell them this. To make a life as best they can on your world.”
“I don’t know how I came here. How can I return?”
“Some higher power obviously brought you to us, in time to pass the message on. It will take you back. Here, take this crystal; it says everything our friends need to know.”
“I am sorry. Truly sorry, I will pass this on for you.”
There was no more time. The burning light and lightening came through the sheltering ground to bake this world to a cinder as Davi disappeared in a pure white light of his own.
No comments:
Post a Comment
please comment, I would love to hear from you.