Monday, 20 January 2014

Recollections of school

I have just completed the writers' group homework for this week super early, had me thinking back and smiling to myself. Innocent days where bullies still existed but nowhere near today's levels. Apart from the often hilarious banter I excaped a lot because I was able to help most of the class with English work, spelling and grammar stuff.

I do recollect my poor maths skills were a drawback even then. Mum wondered 'what had gone wrong' when I failed to pass the maths half of the 11-Plus. Shy little creature I was, she had never understood my telling her how useless at numbers I was.

Memories of teachers came and went. The ex-army one who demolished desks pushing a lad out of his way; the science teacher who 'branded' miscreants with a chalk marked trainer; the pervy one who would be out on his precious backside in one day flat now.

The carefree days at College which would now be called sixth form. Those were the best. And yes, I did manage to get a good job without the maths so many had advised me were an essential. At least I don't need a calculator to tally up a small shopping basket full, or check the change. Wish I could spot the duff coins I get occasionally, but eyesight is something else altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please comment, I would love to hear from you.