Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Story 23

23

Petar and Davi awoke next to a swift moving river, a rocky field to the south.
“Petar? Any ideas?”
“Yes Davi. If I remember rightly, Bear Camp is established not far south of here. This I feel is the place of my first travel.”
“Fine. Let’s go.”
People appeared as they approached with hands outstretched in peaceful greeting.
“Dammi! Dammi! Petar has returned! Dammi!” A child that Petar barely recalled shouted in excitement, she had grown somewhat.
The older man appeared; he had more white in his hair but was still hale and whole. He wore a smile of pleasant surprise with more than a hint of knowing showing.
“Welcome home Petar! And welcome in the name of Dam to your friend.”
“Thank you Dammi. My friend is Davi; you could say he is a fellow traveller. I am sorry I left so mysteriously. I am clumsy! I fell into a small ravine on my return to the hunt and wandered unknowing for days, obviously in the wrong direction.”
“And my people found him wandering,” Davi joined in, “we took him with us when our own hunt returned far north. It has taken long for him to recover his memories. I am still unsure if he has recovered his full wits!”
Dammi laughed heartily. “No wonder we could not find you! And I apologise in stead for our leader and others who are out on hunt not being here to greet you. Come, come, food and drink await.”
Both found themselves at ease and even more so when no ‘in depth’ questions arose that they could not easily brush off, no blatant lies were needed. Dammi did not question, but quietly took in their answers; finally rescuing them from the camp as a whole.
“All is well and good. Now I must take your visitors from you and have my own discussions. The talk will be too esoteric for the rest.”
Davi sat comfortably, he was nervous; he had sensed the underlying tensions and wondered how to explain without seeming mad. Petar had no such reservations and opened the talk.
“Thank you for your understanding, Dammi, and for the rescue. We would soon have run out of evasive answers.”
“It was noted Petar, but only by myself. Neither of you have spoken why you are here. I think I already know. The Rock calls you, does it not?”
Petar smiled at his old friend. “The Rock has called me since the moment I first saw its arrival, but I saw it not here. Is it here? Moreover, is it SAFE?”
It was Dammi’s turn to smile. “I have kept it safe, half expecting your return. I found it and the stone it stood on buried when we enlarged Mammoth heath. The stone bore your own marking, as you marked your own spears.”
Davi exhaled loudly. “So the thing resides in each time frame.” He appraised Dammi with an even more respectful air. The man was primitive, but understood the concept of time travel as if it were an everyday occurrence.
Davi got an equally frank summing gaze. “I am man of spirits, Davi, I believe in things that are both higher and deeper than most even imagine. I feel it is just as well I am the only leader here to greet you, I do not think you will be here long.”
Petar sighed himself. “I also, Dammi, I also. Please, if you would, show us where the thing is safe and we will show you another marvel.”
They were led to a small annex joining the Mammoth Hearth. The carved stone and rock stood as a small altar.
“This, my private meditation chamber. At times of danger I would bury rock again where only I could find. Past few days, rock move slightly on own accord. It has been waiting for you.”
“It has been waiting for THIS.” Petar produced his rock from the deep pocket.
All three gasped as both rocks resonated in a pitch that was too high for hearing, but was felt throughout their bodies. Placing the two rocks together on the stone, the golden light grew dazzling, again the rock became one. Petar felt the power emanating from within, refreshing all three.
Pocketing the thing again, he grinned. “Where to next I wonder. But I hope to have at least one night of sleep in the furs at Bear Camp before we find out!”
“I agree, my friend,” Davi grinned back, “it is too late to return to a travelling camp that is not only beyond site of Bear Camp it is not there!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

please comment, I would love to hear from you.