Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Welcome to story time

Thanks for letting me know this is being followed again. Enjoy part eight.

Petar was glad he had changed clothing. This place looked more like his own, where the Bear Camp should lie, but no camp was in sight. He moved off quickly to keep warm. Yet again, he needed people. The next valley held a small camp of tents and he approached gladly, hands outstretched in greeting and peace as spears rose and fell when they saw him unarmed.
“Hola, stranger! Welcome in the name of Dam. Where have you appeared from with no weapon or aught else it looks?!”
“I thank you also in the name of Dam for welcome which I much need. I come from far north of here, on the far bank of the great river. I lost boat, pack, everything to rapids and then hungry bear! I have only the sleeping clothes I wear; I did not wish to argue with the bear for my possessions.”
“No more would I,” the figure chuckled. “You speak our tongue well, stranger. Are you well travelled?” Petar bit back the grim laugh that rose - he would never have to learn another tongue again!
“More than you can know. I am Petar, one of the travelling traders of Elk Camp. I made a grave error of misjudgement taking to the boat by myself for a solitary journey. I am sure I am days south of home.”
“I think you are, Petar, we are not aware of an Elk Camp but are pleased to hear of it. I am Denal, Leader of this small camp. We left our overcrowded home many moons east of here, moon cycles. We would found our own camp but have found nowhere ‘right’ in our travels. I digress, Petar, welcome again, come to our Mammoth Hearth - which is but the largest tent - Dammi will welcome you.”
The entire party welcomed him. Tales told over the central fire, Petar was careful to be evasive and vague whilst not saying anything too far out of place. His challenge was remembering his early days again and fitting his story around this time. He hoped none would go looking for ‘Elk Camp’ early; he had no idea when his own home had been founded.
The party were alive with excitement and anticipation when he told of the perfect spot for a permanent camp, over in the next valley. He would help build and establish the place, and hoped they would welcome him as one of their own. He deprecatingly brushed off talk of his possible return home - he could not find the way and had not fixed probable landmarks in his mind.
This time, however, he noted the quickly hidden look of disbelief - or suspicion - in the Dammi’s eyes. He would talk to this one sooner than later.
The chance came even faster than he would have thought possible. They were camped now in the place where Bear Camp was going to be established, half gathering the plentiful large bones that lay in a small ‘bay’ where the river had washed them, half digging a carefully measured foundation. Night had fallen and most had gone to their furs, tired but happy with what had been achieved so far.
Petar wandered the river bank, looking to the stars for inspiration as to what to tell the Dammi. As if by coincidence, Dammi approached with a quiet greeting. Both looked at each other, trying to judge the other’s thought; then suddenly at the sky as a star appeared to fall to earth leaving a glowing trail of bright embers that swiftly quenched in the dark waters. Eyes raised in joint question, they ran to the spot. A new curved depression had been formed further up the river bank and the glowing hand sized rock was darkening quickly as water entered the small crater. They could reach it easily.
“What in Dam’s name? …” Petar began.
“Dam only knows the answer my new friend. I feel … SOMETHING … here, I know not what. My mind tells me it is both sacred and special, to be kept to ourselves at least for the moment. He gave a frank look and a motion for Petar to sit with him by the crater’s edge. “My mind also tells me that you need my guidance and that this is in some way connected to you.”
Petar grinned. “And so you followed me tonight to speak of such things!” He laughed easily. “This, I genuinely have no knowledge of Dammi; but I WAS looking for an early opportunity to tell my tale - my TRUE tale - to the only one in any camp who could believe and comprehend.”
“You are not what you seem. I was correct.”
“Yes and no, Dammi. I am what I am. And I do come from a place somewhere north of here. Just, this is difficult without sounding mad, not in the NOW?”
Dammi rocked, bringing his heels close clasping his arms around his bony knees. His eyes shone with curiosity, anticipation and belief, a tale for a Dammi indeed! He nodded for Petar to continue.
“This place, here, we are starting to build is known to me as Bear Camp. I know every inch of the place intimately. I know of ‘other’ Bear Camps, in cycles far ahead of this present. All are of this pattern and unchanged.”
“This, time, Dammi, though ‘now’ to us as we sit, is a mote in time beyond comprehension. Can you imagine say, a span of 30,000 cycles?”
Dammi’s eyebrows raised in wonder. He was one of the few people of the time that could envisage the large, mind numbing figure.
“That far, Petar? And the camp is still there?”
Petar’s eyes shone back at the spiritual man. “The camp is still there, rebuilt of course, but on this very spot and correct in every detail. Dam has given a strange destiny to me, Dammi. I travel on beams of light, or lightning, to times that far ahead and back. ‘Here’ is ahead of my own time, I think, it is rather confusing. My first travel was to Bear Camp, which was then well established and thriving. I saw no difference in clothing or technology …”
“Tek-nol-ogee?”
“Sorry, Dammi. It is a word from that world of 30,000 cycles ahead. It means skills and knowledge - I saw the same flint tools and methods of doing things that I was familiar with. Even you, Dammi, would not believe the world of that far time. Bear Camp there is a ‘living museum’ - a museum is a place where items from past cycles are kept to be viewed by many - people come to the living museum to learn of THIS time, and many pay money - there I go again! - give goods is the nearest without long explanation - give goods to stay and ‘live’ for a while as you and I and the peoples of this time do now.”
“I think … no, I KNOW … after this small part of long, long tale - you ARE connected to that which lies in the small hole before us. My heart agrees with my mind. It has been sent by Dam to you. We must guard it for you.”
“Whatever you believe, Dammi. I am no Dammi, I do not have the calling, but I am content to follow your guidance.”
“That is well and good. All good camp members follow the word of their Dammi!” He rose, stiffly. “I am cold, my joints will not move as they should. We will continue talking when we may. I am more than content to know our new camp is well blessed even before it is built! Bring the rock, Petar, if that is what it is. I will keep it safe with the sacred lamp.”
They walked slowly back to the Mammoth Hearth tent. Entering, Dammi suddenly grinned. “My guest, Petar, you are more than fitting to share the sacred place with me!” He quietened a little. “And if Denal or any other wishes to look for Elk Camp I also shall dissuade them. You are already doing well enough on your own to ensure Bear Camp will be built as it should be. I shall meditate on a reason for it to be named such.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

please comment, I would love to hear from you.