Tuesday, 26 November 2013

Story time again

Wot no comments on the story even? I am disappointed and depressed. Here's instalment chapter 7 anyway, enjoy, I hope .....

7
Dave was filling his mind with knowledge, most seemed to be relearned when he thought about it. Exactly how much SHOULD he know? He still had no idea of his true name or identity, where he had come from.
The two had been true to the offer and he was happy with his own little space. They had scoffed at the equipment, primitive to their own, lost, and though he could not remember Dave agreed. He thought he should be used to something even more sophisticated than that he was faced with. He obviously knew his way around systems he quickly found out. There WERE small signs in inconspicuous news articles of disappearances and it did not take Dave long to find enough to convince him that the machine HAD been working.
The two paled as they reviewed the list of incidents Dave presented. Dates, times even, matched precisely when they had powered up the machine and achieved peaks.
“OK, I got your attention. Am I behaving enough to be allowed to study the machine itself at last?”
“What do you think you can achieve by that, Dave? Without memory, you could cause serious harm.”
“Not if I’m just LOOKING and not touching buttons or dials, whatever, Prof Slongur; you can do a close supervision thing if you are that worried.”
“That is an excellent idea, Dave. Slongur - I think we should allow our COLLEAGUE access. As he said, no touch no harm. We can go on from there if he comes up with something we have overlooked. Not that I think we have,” at his partner’s look of annoyance, “but it cannot cause any harm to see things from another’s perspective.”
Dave was happy to see the machine up close for the first time. Some looked vaguely familiar, other bits looked - alien. What the heck, he thought; I can’t tell anyway, I don’t know what I’m doing here to start with …..
Slongur and Lagarto were delighted to see the careful observations he made and several ‘assumptions’ he made were proven correct. This convinced the pair more than ever that Dave was one of their own, sent to them, somehow. But for what purpose they did not know - to help, or to SPY?
Enough for the one day, Dave thought, and told the pair he was tired and would take a longer evening than usual. Once he was sure the pair had retired themselves, he took his own ‘secret’ route to the outside world. They were not the only ones keeping their cards close to their chests he thought as the ancient idiom came to mind.
Sat on a grassy bank overlooking a wide river, several ruins and buildings carefully conserved from the past in the longer distance, he mused. A transport lit from within flashed slowly overhead. He was not interested in exploring further, not yet at least; all he wanted was fresh air and a feeling of freedom from the indoor spaces.
The night was the most beautiful of all to him, hiding the blemishes of the sun lit world. And the moon hid most of the stars at the full, its cities themselves invisible as the sun glanced off as they both continued the great dance through the heavens.
Returning, he planned his next sojourn into the outside. He would turn the other way around the laboratory buildings, and visit the truly ancient site that was called prehistoric, and had been rebuilt and rebuilt times beyond count in the long years.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a very intersting story. I will be reading more for sure. I enjoy your writing style, clear, concise and easy to read. Good job friend. From Saraandbella-twittet

    ReplyDelete

please comment, I would love to hear from you.